banner ad

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Updates

I updated a few of my other pages, since I only just now realized I've been paying too much attention to one section of my life and not adding in anything about the others.



I should have at least 4 more book suggestions posted up after a while (I loan my mother all of my books that I have already read and she tends to keep them longer then necessary, so I'm waiting on a call from her to tell me what she has at the moment, since it's numbering towards 30 right now). I think this is a page I should update much more frequently, as every week I will go and buy 5-7 new books from the local GoodWill store and then take them to my mothers house where she will also loan me 2-3 of her new ones. I read extremely fast and often, as I much prefer it to tv and it seems to hold my attention better than anything else also. On any normal day, I'll go through one book and a portion of another one.

I also added a new recipe, which this is something I also should not neglect so badly. I tend to cook alot of different things and I was saddened by only seeing a few of my own recipes in this. I think my main problem is that I do everything by memory and then by taste, so having to think on exactly how much I put of something in a dish can often leave me slightly vexed. I'm going to add these as I make them, that way I can pay attention to the specifics. I think maybe I should also share my chinese recipes. I have so many that I know will suit the american taste that I feel like I'm holding out. Some might not, being too sour or different to get a good enough of an open mind to actually enjoy it. For example, one of my most favorite dishes is one I call Shanghai noodle. It's a vegetarian dish but tends to be very sour because it's main flavor is the chinkiang vinegar along with green onions. I have always loved this dish even though I changed the recipe slightly because I cannot make myself like schezuan peppercorns, and it originally has these in it as well.

I'll try to compile some of my changed chinese recipes as I make them. I made sweet and sour chicken last night as well as garlic chicken and broccoli, both are very different from what I ate while in China but suit the taste of my lover well enough that he will request these often, as well as cumin chicken (variation of street bbq), sweet eggplant, tomato and egg, and sesame noodles. I didn't have enough vegetables to make another side dish and I tend to lay my table out much differently then I normally would since my lover is not that demanding though he does eat alot. Normally I would make two main dishes (with meats and vegetables), two side dish of vegetables, and one cold pickled dish. I think this is alot of food but I make them in such small amounts. When I'm feeding more than one person I always make this much, but between me and my lover I generally only make three always of course accomanied by rice. I really wish I had one of those tables with the spinning circle on it...it'd make these nights alot easier.

Soon I'm going to buy a pot for hotpot. It has to be my most favorite thing in the entire world. When I was pregnant with juju in China, I requested eating hotpot at least 5 days a week. I suppose the fact that I can have any number of things to add to it and change my dipping sauce daily is what left me desiring this so often. That and the fact that everything is so fresh. I'm a nut for really fresh foods.

I fully intend on visiting the chinese mall in the closest city to us sometime this month and getting that pot as well as the broths for both sides. My lover is going to fall just as deeply in love with hotpot night as I am...I know him too well :) Can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment